Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Arrival Update

My travels (surprisingly) went very smoothly! My flights were both on time and the Minneapolis-Amsterdam flight was awesome...but very long. The Amsterdam airport is extremely confusing but luckily I had 3 hours to deal with the 800 gates (prolly not an exaggeration). The arrival/departure board listed walking times to your gate...yup it's that big.

KLM is super and I love the Dutch! Delicious on-board coffee and honestly the plane food wasn't too bad. I sat next to a very nice German who lives in Winnipeg, Manitoba now. He talked a lot but that was ok...I have already talked to foreigners about politics=oops oh well.

I felt fine most of the way except for my back was killing me with about 3 hours left on my long flight. The only scary part of mytrip was finding the IES people in the airport because I was conveniently in the wrong terminal.

Plus my flight was late so I didn't get off of it until after 4:30 and I had to meet IES by 5, so I thought screw my luggage and I found some other people who were also trying to find the Boltero statue, a giant black horse (this was the meeting point for IES students). So together we went to the IES room and then had to go back through security into the terminal to get our luggage afterward.

Then I took a cab and the driver dropped me off a block early and I struggled trying to find this building. I saw 55, 57...62 and I needed 59! But eventually after walking around like an idiot for 10 minutes I found the building. There is a doorman in our building so I made a tad nervous trying to get into the building and use the weird tiny elevator (maximum of 3 people).

I like my senora a lot so far...she made me tea when I got here. I have my own room and this apartment is quite nice. There is a metro across the street and it takes me directly to the IES Center in about 10 minutes which is so good.

Oh and I just found the hugest starbucks with 2 floors and it was as if people were simply sitting and enjoying their coffee (in mugs mostly). I had a mocca blanc of course (I was afraid they might not have those here). It was kind of rich since I didn't feel like trying to ask for it non-fat with no whip.

No comments:

Post a Comment